2018 Resolutions or rather intentions

As we proceed through the hassle of Xmas and merry making, gift giving and returning, eating and drinking, one more holiday tradition remains, pondering those New Year’s Resolutions. As the year draws to a close, I find myself reflecting on 2017. It was a challenging, interesting and exciting year. It’s easy to reflect on the past year and see the good and bad that has happened. One thing that is evident is that the year has flown by, too fast to be honest. It feels like I was getting ready for last Christmas and here we are planning Xmas 2017. A year of memories and firsts, of ups and downs, of exciting recollections which have passed and yet with the rush of everyday life, I feel I can only remember certain images I took photos of.

So this year instead of having the same new years resolutions, which seem to be fitting after a season of indulgence, you know the ones- Join a Gym, Get fit, Eat Healthier, Conquer the world, those type of things. This year, I want to focus on the things that matter. Do you know that research indicates that only 8% of people actually achieve their new year’s resolutions? So this year I don’t want to focus on resolutions but rather on intentions. An intention to live a more mindful year, a year with more meaningful memories and experiences. Intention to be present and aware of my surroundings. A year to be more appreciative of time and not let everyday routine take over.

So my main intentions for 2018 are as follows, here goes.

Being more present in the now- Starting to practice a mindful living approach!

I seem to find myself always planning, planning for the next event, holiday, meet up with friends, lunch, dinner. When the event is happening instead of enjoying it and experiencing it, the phones are out, the dairies are at hand and I find myself planning the next event. Life is too short for this.
This year I want to be able to live in the now more, to enjoy the present moment as if it were existing for the very first time, which technically it is. I recently started reading up on having a more ’mindful’ approach to life. And although mindfulness seems to be one of those it words and practices, it makes so much sense, something I will be looking into more seriously.
Mindfulness is the practice of cultivating a focused awareness on the present moment. I want to be more aware by paying more attention on what’s happening in the present around me. With all the distractions around us, how many of us can really say that we are fully aware of what is happening at that very moment, half the time our minds are all over the place and I do find it very hard sustaining attention. So I have started to take time to really take-in my surroundings, what I’m feeling, what the temperature is like, what are the noises that surround that very moment, the smells, the atmosphere etc. If I start doing this more frequently, I will be able to appreciate and have more meaningful memories with my family and friends. I will be able to take better mental photographs.

Put down the phone.

We live in an amazing world of technology, but technology is taking over. It’s as if we can’t do anything anymore without it. Ever realise when you go out with your friends, the first thing you do is search through your bag and put your phone on the table and at any time during the conversation, one of you will refer to the phone. Throughout the conversation for some reason, the phone becomes the unconscious elephant in a room which you always return to. As if waiting for a disaster to strike. When was the last time you went out and left your mobile in the bag and didn’t refer to it at all? Yes, we have kids, but if an emergency happens people will be able to contact you, as they did before mobiles were around. I’m not pointing any fingers, as I’m as guilty as hell at this. We are so dependable on mobiles that it has started to affect our communication style with people. Screen time has started to dilute our understanding of nonverbal abilities such as interpreting what a person’s facial expression or body language means aswell.
Recently I was watching a speech by Simon Sinek and it touched a cord, he spoke about how Engagement on social media and mobile phone usage, releases a chemical called dopamine, this is the exact same chemical which makes us feel good when we smoke/drink, in other words its highly addictive.
Why do I really need to know what people on RUBS are complaining about now (They always complain and it’s so negative all the time, I don’t need this in my life, that reminds me, im gonna unfollow this channel). Or what latest frock some blogger is wearing or some insta famous influencer who is portraying her insta perfect filtered life. What difference does it make? Besides design ideas for the house, not much!
Mobile phones are becoming such a distraction in our everyday life, no wonder I often say I don’t have time to read a book or go to the gym, or cook the Julia Child recipe I have been trying to cook all year. How can we do this if half time we are glued to our phones? So 2018, here is to me putting away my phone and focusing on the real more.

Seek out new family experiences and traditions

Over the past year I have come to love the weekends. Not because I don’t need to wake up at 730 am but because weekend time is family breakfast time. It’s the time my son looks forward to on a Saturday or Sunday and has started asking for. It’s a time when I go down and enjoy making pancakes or French toast, fresh oranges, waffles, cereal, toast, you name it (Or rather whatever is available in the fridge and pantry). The fun in it, is that we take some time as a family to sit down together for some time, in our PJS, first thing in the morning. We talk about the day ahead and I really feel that this starts my day in such a special way. I wish I could do this daily, but realistically I can barely drag myself out of bed at 7, so waking up to cook breakfast is not that reasonable and just adds extra pressure. Weekend breakfast is a family tradition I love.
So besides breakfast I would like to be open to different experiences throughout the year. To have more adventures and outdoor experiences which hopefully can become new family escapades. To be able to awaken our outdoor senses and step into the unknown a little more. All summer I wanted to go kayaking with the family. We are so lucky to live on this island and be surrounded by such beauty and I always found an excuse why we shouldn’t go. So not anymore, these adventures are important and I need to find time for them. So whether its kayaking, or taking my dog out more to enjoy our country side with my husband and son, or even going on a non-traditional holiday that doesn’t include theme parks or shops, this year is the year I’m going to make time for these things. I’m going to make nature more prominent in my family’s life. Spending time in nature is one of the most powerful ways of give ourselves a mental reboot and reinstate a sense of ease and wonder. Being outdoors relieves stress and improves energy levels, memory and attention. So no more excuses, adventures await!

This year I lost my grandfather, someone who was very dear to my heart. What this has thought me is to appreciate and enjoy what you have before time makes you appreciate what you had. The greatest gift we can give people is our time, so treasure it. This is why my resolutions or rather intentions for 2018 are slightly more self reflective.
So this Christmas, take the time to appreciate the small details. Take time to take visual photographs of your family and friends. Take the time to appreciate them and tell them this. And for heaven’s sake, put your phone down J

As Dr Seuss said, ‘What if Christmas he thought, doesn’t come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a Little bit more.’’.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you have a memorable one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where has time gone?

Where to eat on the rock with small kids?

New to the blog world