3 weeks without my little man

3 weeks without being complete!


When I was 7 years old I remember catching a plane by myself (Well with the help of the air hostess) to visit my grandparents and spending 6 weeks of summer with them. The memories of those summer are still very vivid and I used to love the undivided attention my grandparents used to give me, especially because I only used to see them a few times a year if lucky.

My Parents live in Singapore and don’t get to see my son so often as they would like. So this summer my son joined them for a few weeks without me and my husband. We tried this out last summer, where I flew to Singapore and left him here with my parents 2 weeks later my mother returned to Malta and there was not a drop of bother on him- he had the time of his life! This Xmas, my mum flew down in the beginning of December and brought him up to Singapore for 2.5 weeks before me and my husband arrived. He saw all the Xmas shows and lights and Santas. He had the most amazing time. This year we tried it again for the third time. He left Malta with them and I just arrived to pick him up.

When I tell people this I get really strange looks. How could you leave your son for this amount of time? Don’t you miss him? Why would you do that? And obviously when you see people’s reactions you start to feel and immense amount of guilt. However, when myself and my husband discussed we felt it would be the best decision for him.

My son adores his grandparents, he is being given constant attention whilst if he was at home he would be at school and then myself and my husband will be home after 5. We would go swimming at weekends and he unfortunately won’t be able to go out daily. So for the past few weeks, he has gone swimming daily, visited the zoo, water parks, beaches, theme parks, kids rooms and events. His life has been pretty exciting! Actually he has a better social life than I do. We spoke daily on skype and i didnt miss a single minute of his action. Wassup and Skype really became our best friends, so we were always in contact.

He is almost 3. But he understood fully that he was on a vacation and Mummy and Daddy were soon coming to pick him up!

Yesterday when I arrived I felt like a child on Xmas day. I was so excited and run of the plane, praying my luggage won’t be delayed. I came out of arrivals and my son screamed across the room- MUMMY! He came running so fast and just threw his arms around me and didn’t let go. He kept touching my face and telling me he loves me. He has been so hyper all day, showing me how he knows how to swim, how he learned how to scoot, what toys he plays with, how he knows how to use the toilet now, as he is officially a Big Boy. Over the past 3 weeks his development has been unreal. His conversation has changed and he doesn’t use baby language anymore, tonight he even told me “Mummy this place is awesome please lets stay’.

I missed my son like crazy and did not feel whole without him. However, during this period, I traveled twice with work, finished a lot of work in the house and actually managed to spend some time with my husband. I felt a big part of me was missing but kept missing as I am sure I missed him more than he missed me.

Will I do it again- Yes I will. My son has had the time of his life and although he missed me and we missed him, it has done him the world of good. He also spent quality time with his grandparents so he got constant undivided attention.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where has time gone?

Where to eat on the rock with small kids?

New to the blog world